Having attended lots of shows as a Discover Dogs breed ambassador, we had a vague idea about the sort of equipment show dogs need to take with them on the day…
- A grooming table
- A crate (soft or wire)
- Grooming equipment
- A show lead
- Treats/water and bowl
- Treats/water for humans
- A carrying device to transport all of the above
On our first show (in January, the Bucks Open Show), mummy went alone because daddy teaches on a Saturday at his school. She took my soft crate, my grooming table, arm and brushes/combs/scissors. Pocket cheese treats were a bonus too. We bought a collapsing sackbarrow trolley to carry everything in.
When we got there it became pretty clear we were the “budget end” of exhibitors… Mummy even had to scrounge a safety pin from another human to attach my ring number to her jacket…! We were near the Wire Fox Terriers, and we observed lots of things we should buy/upgrade…
We now have:
- A Titan Dog Trolley (its a grooming table on wheels that doubles as a sturdy secure crate)
- A special ring clip for fastening our ring number to mummy
- A benching chain (like a double ended lead, to attach me to a bench for benched shows)
- A special grooming bag with partitions to keep everything in order
- Special conditioning fursprays and a towel for my inevitable full face-dunk when i have a drink
- A tweed show outfit for mummy which is in a complementary colour to my fur
- Rubber-soled smart show shoes so that mummy doesnt tap her way around the show ring.
- A professional groomer (in London, to give me a top notch pre-show groom… see below. Dogs Delight in Chiswick. Julie is an award-winning groomer specialising in Terriers who need hand stripping. That’s me in the photo, by the way…! Hondsome!